Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fly Tying Tuesday: Uni vs. Ultra







     VS.







As with many "vs." posts on this site, I will rarely take a permanent side.  The depth and breadth of fishing products, fly tying gear/equipment, fishable trout waters, guides and outfitters, etc. will provide a vast array of experiences from one angler to the next.  Not two anglers are exactly alike, which makes it all too likely that they will have different tastes when it comes down to fishing related purchases and passions.  One thing I wish I would have had when starting out (especially in fly tying) was a more objective point of view regarding the types of products available and pros/cons for each.  I had only heard about Uni-thread when getting into tying, so that is what I stocked up on, assuming it would be great.  Turns out, it's "OK" for my tying style, but Ultra-thread is what I really what I enjoy using.

Now, just as anglers have their differences so do flies and their materials.  One thread or the other may have its place on your tying bench depending on the flies you are tying up.  I don't want to sway you one way or another with this information, but below is a list of observations that I have developed from personal experience with both tying threads.  The only way you'll really know what is best for you is by tying a few flies with each.  Just don't stock up on one before you know for sure.  : )





Uni-Thread
Danville Ultra Thread
Cost
About $2.50/200 yard spool.  Depending on shop
About $1.50/200 yard spool
Durability
I’ve had trouble with Uni-thread breaking when I apply pressure during snug downs or tie-offs.  I know, don’t apply that much pressure!  It seems that I am able to apply more with Ultra.
I like Ultra-thread’s durability, especially on smaller flies.  You really have to be careful with the hook point, however, as this will fray the thread and weaken it significantly.  
Versatility
Great for large flies.  I don’t care to use it on patters smaller than 18 (i.e. smoke jumper or f-fly)  I don’t like the look of the body as much.   
I enjoy using this on small and large flies alike.  Really allows me to work on tiny, thread-bodied flies without making them too fat or deformed.  Lays nice and flat on the hook shank.  
Product Variety
Uni-Thread seems to be offered more in the “big box” outdoor stores with more products available.  I do feel they are lacking somewhat in assortment.  
Uni-thread is not commonly found in the “big box” outdoor stores in South Dakota.  The local fly shops carry it and use it on their flies.  I like the assortment of wires, tinsels and threads available.  
Performance
I really like Uni-thread for larger flies and “warm-water” patterns.  When the aesthetics of the fly are important, however, especially on smaller patterns,  I’ll shy away from this brand.  Easy to get carried away as a new tyer  and crowd the hook eye.  
I don’t really care for the threads propensity to “flare out” or come apart as you tie, but I like that it stays flat on the hook.  Very easy to tie small flies without bulking up the head too much.  Always seem to have enough room for the hook eye.  I like tying larger patterns with ultra thread as well.  





No comments:

Post a Comment