Saturday, January 12, 2013

2012 Goal Review

For the first time in my fishing career, I noted a few successes that I wanted to see in 2012. Below is a rundown of those goals and how things went for me.  

Goal 1:  Catch a Northern on the fly

With the mild winter experienced last year, I found plenty of opportunities to get out with the fly rod in search of Northerns.  I met this goal relatively quickly as I was searching for rainbow trout in Oahe marina.  A nice 10 lb northern devoured my articulated streamer and provided me with a very fun first northern on my 6 weight.  Many others followed.  

Goal 2:  Catch a fish on the fly in each month of the year

I can honestly say that I lost track rack of this one.  I'm going to do my best to think back in each month in hopes of remembering what fish were caught and when.  There weren't many unfortunately, but I still may have done a fairly decent job of filling most months with a fish or two.  
  • January:  Northern, Browns & Bows 
  • February:  Northern
  • March:  No fish on the fly : (
  • April:  Browns & Bows on the Bighorn!
  • May: Black Hills Browns and Bows, Crappie, Bluegill, Smallies
  • June: Crappies, Bass
  • July: Smallies
  • August: Carp, King Cats, Smallies, White Bass, Gar
  • September: Smallies, Rainbows
  • October: No fish on the fly : (
  • November: No fish on the fly : (
  • December: No fish on the fly : (
In hindsight, it wasn't such a bad year after all.

Goal 3:  Catch a 20"+ smallie on the fly

I included this goal with the expectation of making a return visit to Pelican Lake in Orr, Mn where I landed a 21.5" smallie (with my baitcaster) in 2010.  This year's trip did not happen, and while there are ample opportunities to find a 20" fish in the Pierre area, I just did not pursue them enough to find one.  With northern Minnesota on the schedule for 2013, dreams of giant smallies will dance in my head yet again.    

Goal 4:  Fish the Bighorn River

Pierre Tuesday Tyers members made the treck (in real truckers trucks) to Fort Smith, MT in April 2012 to advertise expertly tied flies to Ph.D. level trout in an amazing tailwater fishery.  Look for another post in March breaking down this trip in preparation for a return to the Bighorn in 2013.

Goal 5:  Catch a trout streamer fishing
My only attempt at streamer fishing came last winter in Pierre when the warm weather offered open water opportunities that only resulted in a few northers.  I want to swing a large articulated streamer through a deep hole of a free-stone stream.  A winter excursion would be ideal, but I'll take whatever opportunity I can get.  


Goal 6:  Flyfish for chinook in the tailrace

My only salmon of the season came while spin-casting in the tailrace.  The persistent drought conditions in 2012, and very low flows so far in 2013 might make this a difficult task moving forward.  I might try swinging some flies this winter in preparation for steelhead fishing next year.  That's something I'd really like to do.

I liked setting fishing goals for myself.  Without as many "projects" on the schedule for 2013, I feel I will be able to provide sufficient attention to these goals, and better myself as a fisherman in the process.  I will give serious thought to my 2013 goals and will add that post in the near future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment