Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wax on...Wax off: Keep your line clean

Whether using line cleaner or dish soap, cleaning your line will make you more efficient on the water

Owning proper fly-fishing equipment that fits your particular experience level and current fishing conditions is only half the battle when improving your on-water experience and effectiveness.  Consistent care and maintenance for that equipment is arguably as important to keep your gear functioning properly all year long.  I'll argue that line care is one of the most important things a fishing enthusiast can do to make his/her time on the water more effective, efficient and enjoyable.

When I began actively fly fishing nearly 7 years ago, it was with a hand-me-down rod and reel from my uncle.  A great rod and reel that I still use on occasion.  Without understanding the maintenance required on fly equipment as a beginner, I rarely cleaned my fly line, and paid the price for it.  My first year was spent casting a dirty fly line on my "new rod".  A hassle to say the least, and a roadblock to my pursuit of fly-fishing improvement.  That is, until, I fished with my good friend Keith Wintersteen at the Buffalo Roundup in Custer State Park.

He and I hosted a number of guest to a day of fly fishing on Center Lake.  An amazing experience all around, thanks in large part to Keith's advice before the excursion.  As we were checking leaders, tippets and fly selection I mentioned the trouble I was having shooting my line.  I had been practicing a lot, but was not making much progress.  Keith said he had just the thing to try, and quickly ran to his vehicle to grab some line cleaner and a cloth.  I walked the line out to the backing, Keith applied some line cleaner to the cloth and reeled the line in as he cleaned it.  "Here you go, try it out," he suggested.  It was like he had handed me a brand new fly rod and reel.  My fly casting improved along with my knowledge of equipment maintenance and made for a very enjoyable fishing experience with our guests.

I recommend cleaning your line at least once per year, and anytime after you run into muddy water, algae blooms or salt water.  Whether you utilize a line cleaner of your choice or a light dish soap, keep your line clean, improve your casting ability, and have a more enjoyable time on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment