Friday, February 1, 2013

Lesson Learned...AGAIN!!





I've been duped, hornswaggled, tricked even.  Now I'm feeling like poor ol' Chuck lying flat on his back after Lucy pulls that football away yet again.  Here's how it went down:

I recently made the 6 hour round trip to Rapid City, S.D. to view the 2013 F3T (Fly Fishing Film Tour).  If you have read my previous posts, you may have seen my review of last year's Film Tour.  Not so good outside of a few bright spots.  So when I decided to travel again to Rapid City in January under a potential winter weather advisory, you'd probably say I am out of my mind.  Well, you'd be absolutely correct!

When looking back at my recent "justification" post, it seems like I had a few great reasons to get back to Rapid for the annual tour.  There was potential to get out fishing, get some swag, watch some good flicks and hang out with some cool, like-minded individuals.  I got to town and had dinner with a bud of mine.  The freezing temps and winter weather limited my fishing. I didn't get to the theater until around 15 min before the event began.  Small crowd compared to last year's near sellout.  Guess many others were wiser than I.

Hopeful #1:  Swag!  

The first event in 2011 boasted a Costa shirt with awesome artwork, F3T hat, Costa sunglasses retainer and an edition of Stonefly Magazine.  2012 rolled out some new hats (for everyone in attendance) and Costa sunglasses retainer.  This year they went big with hats for 20% of attendees and a copy Stonefly Magazine.   Unfortunately, the hats were gone long before I had arrived, and there was no hope of acquiring one after the show.  Totally bummed...I really liked this year's hats.  Oh well.

Hopeful #2:  Get to meet like-minded fly fishing enthusiasts

This one is totally on me, but when I arrived everyone was getting settled in to their seats.  My inability to initiate the conversation before the fact, and the scattering of participants after the show ended pretty much settled it for me there.  Pre or post party would have been a good chance, but that wasn't a public option if it occurred.

Hopeful #3:  Hit 'em Again Doc!

The sequel to "Doc of the Drakes" and the primary reason I made the drive to Rapid City was an "Official Selection of the 2013 Fly Fishing Film Tour".  Apparently, not all "official selections" make the cut.  I sat in the Elks Theater in Rapid City watching short film after short film thinking, "it's gotta be coming up soon.  Maybe they're saving the best for last."  Despite being advertised on the website as in the tour, the show ended without Ryan and Doc gracing us with their presence on the big screen.  Not only was I disappointed and completely bummed out, I was flat out angry about it.  I hope there is an opportunity in the future for me to watch this short film.  I would enjoy that very much, even if it's not on the big screen.

Hopeful #4:  Prizes

I posted a bit on this yesterday.  That about sums up my experience with this aspect of the film tour.

Hopeful #5:  The Films

Not going to give you a rundown of each film that was there.  I'll just let you know that you are in for a whole lot of slow motion tight loops, face time talking action, and erratic transitions.  There are a few fish here and there, and a few moments of laughter, but when I almost fell asleep early after intermission, I knew this was the last time I was going to attend this event.  Also, if you do plan on attending, you will like to know that the Rapid City event did not feature the following films that are promoted on the website as being in the tour:


  • BrownBro  by Strobot Productions
  • Enough is Enough  by Keith Brauneis and CalTrout
  • Hit 'em Again Doc  by Bryan Huskey (so bitter about this one)
  • The Calico Syndicate  by Tight Loop Media and Fin Film Company 
  • Fall Run  by Todd Moen (Was pretty pumped to see this one as well)


I firmly believe that it's OK to fail as long as you don't fail at the same thing more than once.  Well, I've learned my lesson.  F3T, you're dead to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment