Saturday, February 2, 2013

Dog Days of Fishing

My dog Lucy facing off vs. carp
I don't mind fishing alone.  In fact, I often appreciate that time on the water.  I do, however, appreciate the company of one fishing partner more often than not.  My dog Lucy is the best dog in the world.  I've had her by my side on the water since the day we brought her home from Cedar Valley Pheasant Haven in Harrold, S.D.  Sure, she can't make every trip I take, but for the most part, I love to have her along and she loves to be there.

Just a few months old and she already loves to fish
My favorite thing about Lucy is her optimism.  She is in a constant state of anticipation while fishing.  She always seems to assume that the next cast is going to produce an opportunity for her to pounce, chase, lick and stalk.  I wish I always had her optimism as a fisherman.  As doubts enters my mind, I look to Lucy for reassurance that the "just one more cast" cliche may be used liberally but not taken literally.  Her obvious passion for the water and all of its inhabitants makes me wonder if she looks forward to our fishing trips as I do.

I really appreciate our time on the water together and vow to create more of it in years to come.  She turns five this year, and I can't tell you where the time has gone.  I want to make the most of the years we have left together, and give her as much joy as one fisherman can give back to his best fishing buddy.





No comments:

Post a Comment