Monday, April 1, 2013

Preparation is Key

Now one week before our annual bighorn river fishing adventure, and I find myself in preparation mode.  When your travels will take you 500+ miles to a location with limited access to basic necessities, gear and equipment, you better bring what you need unless you are willing and able to pay a premium for such goods on site.  I, for one, am not willing or able to do such a thing.  Here are five essentials on my list that will save the day in the event preparation fails me this spring:

1.  Fly Tying Gear

Rather than identifying a number of patters and being prepared to tie them if necessary, I load up the whole lot to ensure that nothing is missed.  Last year was a great example.  Midges were hatching like crazy, however, only a few select patterns were producing on a regular basis.  Fortunately, my tying gear was close at hand and the next day came with several fish to hand thanks to some fresh flies.

2.  Walkie-Talkies

When fishing in a group, communication can be a key to success on the water.  Pre-made plans for the day's fishing may be thrown out the window when unexpected events occur.  Walkie-talkie communication on the water can help boost efficiency and hasten success for all.  Keep them close by.

3.  Dry Bag

Having a safe place on the float boat for gear, tools, food and miscellaneous items to be stored will pay dividends on your next trip.  On last year's trip, one of the oar's on my pontoon boat came loose before hitting  a rough patch of water.  I was fortunate to have anchored myself before entering the turbulent waters in order to search my dry bag for the screwdrivers I had along.  I fixed the oar and continued on down to my next hole.  It also protected my camera and lunch from the unexpected rain showers that briefly moved through the area.

4.  First-Aid

A comprehensive first-aid kit seems like an obvious addition, but is often forgotten on seemingly easy-going fishing trips.  Include heavy mono (20 or 30 lb test) in the unlikely event a hook becomes lodged into a fellow fisherman, hydrogen peroxide, second skin, hot hands, band aids, athletic tape and aspirin/ibuprofen among other items.  Try to plan for every possible scenario.

5.  Extra Gear

I don't know many fly-guys who won't travel with multiple rod/reel sets for any given fishing trip.  What else could you need?  I think it is important to have all of the essentials:

  • Rod/Reels
  • line/backing
  • leaders/tippet
  • waders/wading boots
  • Looped connector tips for fly line (easy to put on and very durable.  Came in handy for me a few years back)
  • Small backup fly box (you never know when your's might be misplaced, stoled or lost downstream)
  • Hat/gloves (it get's cold in the spring)
Keep this gear in your vehicle or in your room.  If something does go wrong, you'll know you have something available as a backup.  

Time to go fishing?  




No comments:

Post a Comment