Monday, April 15, 2013

The Keeper of the Fish



While taking Lucy for a walk during my lunch break the other day, I couldn't help but notice the large number of BIG smallies swimming the shallows of the marina near my house.  Lately, it has been filled with gar and crappies, but the smallies seem to have started seeking shallow water spawning stations.  An older gentleman was setting up just as Lucy and I passed by.  He was fishing on the bottom with crawlers and minnows, apparently oblivious to the crappies and smallies swimming all around him.  We exchanged pleasantries and went on our way.  I couldn't help but think about those smallies hammering the crystal bugger that I had recently used to catch a few skiddish gar in the very same location.   So I hurried back to fetch my 7 weight, and with Lucy setting the pace, we made our way back to the old guys fishing area.  

He was kind enough to share his fishing area with my pup and I.  He didn't seem too concerned that I was going to mess things up for him (or catch all of his fish) but as soon as I pulled a few crappies and smaller bass out he had to investigate.  He examined the small bugger and stated proudly, "I've got some of those!   They're just not that color".  I assured him they would work, but he went back to his pickup to tend to his poles and continued to watch me catch fish after fish with my fly.  After a few more small fish a pig finally came out of the shadows and engulfed my crystal bugger.  The fight was on, and it was fun.  Then, from behind me came the old man's voice, "I'll take him if you won't".

My heart stopped.  Does this happen often to catch and release fishers?  Don't get me wrong, I love eating fish as much as the next guy, and will gladly keep a few eyes while I'm fishing with my friends and family, but I would never consider asking someone for their catch.  I get it, they're going to keep fish one way or another, and they might as well keep the ones you're throwing back.  I just don't like it. I only replied with a, "I practice catch and release".  Let the 3 + lb smallie go on her way, and headed for home.  My take... I'm happy with you keeping fish in accordance with the rules and not letting them go to waste.  To each his/her own.  But I expect that same courtesy be passed on to me when I am enjoying my style of fishing.  Keep the awkward turtles off the water.   


No comments:

Post a Comment