Tuesday, April 16, 2013

How can you HATE the Bighorn River?

I had an interesting conversation with a guide/fly snob prior to heading out west.




Me:  Yeah, we're haeding out to the Bighorn for a week.  Pretty excited about it.











Fishing Snob:  Hmm...I hate the Bighorn.  Too many people.  I'd much rather go someplace else.













Me:  Hmm...Good to know.  See you later.








How can you hate the Bighorn River?  I get that it's one of the most heavily fished streams in Montana. I get that fly snobs and enthusiasts will travel from all around for the chance to show their stuff, or get a heavy dose of humility.  But to say you HATE the bighorn river because of other fisherman is snobbery at its finest.

The Bighorn boasts 10,000 fish per mile.
 The best part of our three full days of fishing, I caught all of my fish in near solitude.  Whether because I was fishing while it was 15 degrees fahrenheit on day one,  fishing spots that had been passed up time and time again, or just finding the "fishy" spots, I was catching fish without competing with the masses.  At one point during day one, a great group of guys from Spokane approached me to see if they could fish the stretch of water around me.  I'm not sure if they had watched me catch a few fish, or if they were genuinely interested in this stretch of water.  I let them have it, chatted for a while and moved on to the next hole.  I'll camp out on a spot once I find some fish, but I'm not going to be opposed to moving on unless I know there is a beast in there I've yet to catch.  Even then, I'd still be willing to let a fellow fishing enthusiast have their shot.  As long as they aren't a snob.  Like I said, if I can't find a few fish out of 10,000 per mile, I might need to go back to the drawing board.

We had a great trip out west, and it's something I've come to look forward to throughout the year.  Not only because of the fishing, but the challenge presented (elements, bugs, changing conditions), camaraderie, and chance to see some magnificent fish up close and personal.  Don't turn into a fishing spot snob.  Let's find appreciation for the great resources around us and make the most of our time on the water with friends and family.  Life is too short to hate a fishing spot, or to not fish the Bighorn River. Here are some more snapshots of some beauties you won't find anywhere else:





No comments:

Post a Comment