Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fly Tying Tuesday: Nail polish a DIY tool

"Don't look at me! I'm hideous!"  #pinkie : )

There are times when inspiration hits me and I just have to hit the vise to tie a very particular pattern.  More often, I'll run across a patter in a magazine or catalog that I'd like to try tying.  Such was the case last night when I ran across a recipe for "the pinkie" in Fly Tyer Magazine along with an anecdote detailing its effectiveness on wild brown and rainbow trout.

The Pinkie is typically tied on a streamer hook and is all pink.  Pink marabou tail, pink chenille body, pink hackle and pink bead head.  With no streamer hooks immediately on hand and with me being to lazy to venture to the garage for the proper materials, I thought I would see how this would look in more of a nymph look.  I also didn't have any pink bead heads, as I've never used them before.  Still determined to give this a shot, I ran to my wife's box of nail polish, found the perfect color and began to paint my masterpiece. I was pumped.

Turns out, nail polish takes much more time to dry than an anxious fly tyer has to wait, so I began tying in hopes of avoiding a mess.  Short story long, it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.  Heck, I'd eat the bug if I had a chance, but it's just not as pretty as I'd like it to be.  Moral of the story, paint 'em before you tie 'em.  This is a great options for those of us who have more black, copper and silver beads than we know what to do with and are looking to try something new.  Get a few beads painted up ahead of time and give them plenty of time to dry.  Add some sally hanson's hard as nails to make them extra durable.  It's also easy to paint them on the hook, just hold off on your tying until you know they're dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment