Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tying Tuesday Result: The Zebra Midge

This year's Tuesday Tyer sessions have been more of an opportunity for me to take in some fun stories and tell some of my own.  I would be lucky to tie two flies in the three hour session.  This past tuesday was different.  While stories were still prevalent, I hunkered down to get some flies tied.  Zebra midges and big streamers were on the menu.  Check out the tying video for the Zebra Midge below.  A quick and easy pattern that will produce throughout the year.

When I first started fly fishing, I couldn't believe some of the tiny patterns featured in fly shop bins.  "How the heck does thread catch fish?" I thought.  Well, when I finally had an opportunity to see these bugs in my seine net, I had a better understanding as to why these patterns work so well.  Next time you're fishing in spring or fall, or are in the middle of a midge hatch, do a quick seine to see the larva present.  You'll see why small and easy is the way to go.  Enjoy the video!



No comments:

Post a Comment