Friday, March 8, 2013

Agony of Defeat: Promise of Tomorrow

In search of the elusive Oahe Marina Rainbow
It's not easy to accept defeat on the water when acknowledging it is typically against the rules.  I'm fine with coming off a stretch of water with no fish because: a) I've likely caught fish there a time or two before, and B) spending time on the water is more than reward enough for me.  Unless, however, I'm chasing rainbow trout in Oahe Downstream marina.

Let me go back to the beginning.  I started this blog by writing about the possibility of catching 3, 5, 7, 9 pound trout with regularity.  That's how it used to be anyway.  Now, they are somewhat few and far between, but still there.  They cruise the sanctity of the marina throughout the winter months and into early spring in search of easy prey.  Sounds like easy pickins for fly guys.  Turns out, it's not that easy for me.

Today's weather report:  33 degrees, overcast and breezy.  "Perfect," I thought.  No other fisherman will be on the water, the fish will be relatively unspookable, and I can key in on a few select presentations that should do the trick.  I ducked out at 3:30, picked up the pup and hit the marina.  As I suspected, no fisherman and perfect conditions.  This was the day I would bring a big Oahe Marina bow to hand.  So I thought.

My uncle holds a nice bow taken in the marina back in the "glory days"
For the past three years, this challenge has eluded me.  Early on, my lack of dedication to the challenge persistently decided my fate.  Only getting to the marina on one or two occasions during undesirable conditions is no way to beat these big bows.  Even when I would put in the hours, the fish performing a perfect disappearing act or my inability to find the right presentation would again leave me skunked.   It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't heard success stories from friends and family members.  My two uncles who reminisce about the days of catching 16+ fish in a day that weighed over 3 lbs a piece.  Other fisherman, whether by fly line or spinning real, landing 9+ lb rainbows and hanging their "trophy" photos in the nearby marina store.

So there I was, Lucy and I, on our first attempt at the elusive Oahe Marina Rainbows.  While I am always optimistic and confident when it comes to fishing, I've found myself beginning to doubt my skills as a fisherman.  I've had opportunities in the past and have not capitalized.  Maybe this is just one of those fishing scenarios that I cannot master.

Sloooow strip...pause.  Sloooow strip...pause.  My wooly bugger prince nymph combo looked great in the water, now if only...WHAM!!

The weight of a cinder block welcomed my hookset as only seconds later a bright rainbow body and large green head breached the surface violently splashing from side to side.  Back under water now the big fish makes a run for deeper water before breaching the surface yet again, this time in spectacular fashion.  My heart is pounding, my mind racing.  "Just get it to hand," I thought to myself.  Almost as quickly as that thought entered my mind, the hard pull on the line was no longer and the rod became straight yet again.  "NOOOOO!" I yelled in agony as the big rainbow disappeared into the depths.  I sat on the bank to contemplate how close I had just come to accomplishing my goal before warming my frozen fingers in the truck.  Defeated yet again.  I've got to stay positive.  Tomorrow is another day.  What's the forecast for Pierre?  35 degrees, 90% chance of snow, and 20 mph winds? Perfect!

Here is a bit more of what I'm missing out on.

Big hen
Like a big football!!

No comments:

Post a Comment