Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Brown Fly

My mom got me some cool magazines from across the pond for an unexpected xmas gift.  It's been fun to read about different flies, unique techniques and hear insider tips from guides in other countries.  I came across a recipe for a classic Salmon fly called the "Brown Fly" in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying Magazine.  This fly originated in Ireland and Scotland, becoming popular on dark windy days on slower runs.  It is a pattern by William Blacker (1850) and has gone through a number of transformations since then.

While chasing the big rainbows that move into the marina in the winter/spring months, I've heard stories from other fisherman who have experienced success.  One story from my neighbor quickly came to mind when reading about this fly.  He recalls fishing the marina with a "big brown fly with wings" and doing very well with the big rainbows and fall salmon.  Dark, windy days are commonplace in Pierre (especially so far this year), so I tied up a variation of the Brown Fly to try on the next gloomy day.  My wife thinks it should be called the Cardinal.   I don't know about that.  I just think it'll catch fish...

Of the "Brown Fly" variety.  Pumped to try it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment