Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Oahe Marina - Fishing Update


 The early bird catches the worm, right?  I'm hoping in this case the early fisherman has first dibs .  The Oahe marina has been a hotspot for big rainbow trout, northern pike and other predatory fish seeking prey during the warming days of spring.  Typically, the "timing" is right for these big fish when the ice goes out on the marina.  This year has been anything but typical.  The warm winter weather hosted by the great State of South Dakota has denied any ice formation in Oahe Marina.  In light of this unique situation, and because I've decided to devote a large amount of time seeking out these big rainbows, I'll be posting updates on this blog as often as I go fishing to keep anyone interested up-to-date.

February 13, 2012


What an amazing day to be out on the water.  Outdoor temp was about 50 degrees.  Not a hint of wind.  Every-so-often I'd see a little black midge fluttering across the top of the water.  The center of the marina is iced over with about a 3/4"slab.  Walleye fishermen have been hitting the marina hard and catching a lot of fish; only six guys and two boats out today.  I cant help but wonder about how this fishing pressure is going to affect the "Occupy Oahe Marina" event this spring.  The walleyes will keep the fishermen coming, and they won't leave until there isn't a walleye left to be caught.  I fished the marina in January during a few of the 60 degree days and caught a few walleys, a nice northern and saw numerous rises that could have only been big trout.  Of course, I was unable to entice the bite of a big bow in January, but I feel pretty confident they were there.  

With numb fingers (even with glacier gloves) after two hours of fishing under my belt, I was satisfied.  Dissatisfaction is lost on gorgeous days like these. No takers, but it was a great day.  I'm leaving day one looking forward to my next chance to chase.







No comments:

Post a Comment