Sunday, February 26, 2012

Marina Update - February 20, 2012

Travel has put me behind the ball on my fishing and blog updates lately.  I last fished on President's Day with wind, snow and 20 degree temp.  I thought it would be the perfect time to fish with no walleye fisherman present.  Boy was I wrong.  Still two boats, and four walleye fisherman on shore casting away (only one of whom was catching).  Lucy and I fished for around an hour with nothing, but I did have a chance to speak to a few of the walleye fishermen.  The guy that had been catching a few fish has been fishing the marina every day for some time.  I asked if he had seen any nice trout caught recently.  He had!!!  Of course, this is heresay, and completely unofficial, but he watched a gal haul in a three lb. rainbow on Saturday (Feb 18) on a crappie rig and a guy on Sunday catch a six+ lb trout on a jib/minnow combination.  In my experience fish stories seem to get even more exaggerated when you're recalling the conquests of other anglers.  If these stories were at all accurate (even if the sizes of the fish were not) these trout were caught on minnows near the bottom.  I've been throwing streamers and large nymphs only to catch an occasional northern.  I'll try a different approach on my next adventure.  Maybe a deep-diving clouser worked slowly over the leaf and stick covered bottom.  More updates coming soon (as soon as the wind stops blowing 40-50 mph in Pierre!!

No comments:

Post a Comment