Saturday, June 14, 2014

Naming My Rod


My Echo 8wt fly rod and I have been spending some quality time together lately.  Each time I take her out of the case, it feels so impersonal, like we're on a first date over and over again.  She's definitely earned her keep and has become a valuable member of the family.  It's time "she" gets a name...

After reading up on the subject, it seems anglers will typically name their fly rod only if they had a hand in building in.  I get that, but I'm never, and I mean NEVER, going to attempt building a fly rod.  There are so many economical rods of high quality on the market, I could never justify the time and expense incurred while rod building.  I also noticed that the majority of names take a "play on fishing terms" spin.  "Trout Slayer", "Never Skunkt" and my favorite, "Lord of the Flies".

I'm not compelled to follow tradition in this regard.  Unconventional thinking is the trend in fly fishing nowadays.  It will only breed innovation in a fly fishing world where traditional thinking is commonplace.  This will just be another opportunity for me to do my part to think a bit different from the norm.

I've got five names that I really like a lot.  Some of them unused child names, others inside stories going back to high school, and one that I just really like.  Here are my top five (in no particular order of preference):

  • Glory-a
  • Raquel
  • Shaniqua 
  • Quinten
  • Mackenzie  

Any of these names will work great, but this is for the long-term.  That's why I need some help.  Tell me which of these is your favorite.  The one with the most votes will be crowned the winner.  Also, tell me what name you have for your special fishing rod.  I'll even throw in a prize for the name that strikes my fancy the most.  Best name will win a lanyard.  Let the voting begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment