Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Fishing on the Big Screen...



A friend and I were catching carp the other day when he quoted one of our favorite fishing movies.   It got me thinking about the great fishing movies that I've seen.  I can't say that I've seen many.  Here are my top five.  I know there are some that didn't make the cut, but this is a top five.  If you have others that are a must-see, please comment.  I need to broaden my fishing movie horizons.

#1 - Grumpy Old Men:  Not only is this one of the greatest fishing movies of all time, it is one of the great "one line" sources of all time.  So many one liners, in fact, that there is an IMDb page dedicated to quotes from the flick.  I really need to watch this movie again.  

#2 - Grumpier Old Men:  Sequals usually suck, but this movie carries on right where they left off.  Hilarity ensues.  

#3 - Doc of the Drakes:  This is a 20 min short film about a doctor fishing the drake hatch in Idaho.  He has Parkinson's.  Inspirational, captivating, funny and genuine.  I've yet to see the sequal, "Hit em again Doc" but I'm sure it's great too.  F3T jipped me out of catching it last year in Rapid City.  Will never go to that event again.  (Bitter!)

#4 - A River Runs Through It:  I certainly enjoyed this movie when I was younger, but don't seem to appreciate it as much now that I am a fly fishing enthusiast.  This has become a benchmark for anyone who doesn't fish to gain perspective into the lives of those who do.  That is not the most fair assessment, in my opinion.  Still a pretty good movie though.  

#5 - Where the Yellowstone Goes:  A Hunter Weeks documentary following a group of people as they drift the Yellowstone.  They discuss the history of the Yellowstone River, current challenges facing this delicate ecosystem and how we can better care for our valuable natural resources.  They meet colorful characters along the way and, of course, do a little fishing in the process.  It was fun to watch.

Next time you are sitting around the tying desk during the winter time, pop one of these in the DVD/Blu Ray.  You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment