Sunday, May 25, 2014

Daydreaming of Home


Old marble-eye

As a kid who loved fishing (and knew nothing about fly-fishing) I clamored for anything fishing related.  When I wasn't able to get out to the local stock dams, or take a trip to the Black hills, television was my vise.  Walker's Cay Chronicles, Spanish Fly, Tony Dean Outdoors were some of my favorites.  These shows did not captivate me with huge fish and hero shots while rock 'n' roll or heavy metal music played in the background.  Rather, these storytellers painted a picture with words.  They told a story that sent me on a whirlwind adventure in my own mind.  So began a life of daydreaming.  Fishing in exotic locations for fish so beautiful you have to see them in person to believe their brilliance.  Traveling across state borders to be tested by the best fish that respective state has to offer.  But how often do we daydream of home?

One of my favorite snapshots of all time...
I'm ashamed to admit that it is not as often as I should.  Even when I daydream of my home state of South Dakota, It typically involves me standing in rapid creek as the sun dips closer to the horizon for what can only be described as kamikaze trout attacking the helpless insects that await on the surface.  There is a time, however, when the lilac's bloom, the water temperature warms, and the fish begin to feed on the river.  I then find that while I've been dreaming of fishing elsewhere, others have yearned for the chance to visit South Dakota's State Capital.  And why wouldn't they?  Smallies, white bass, largemouth bass, an amazing northern pike fishery in Lake Oahe, hungry carp, and don't forget the walleyes on the fly!  We even have giant rainbows in the winter/spring.  We have so much variety, so many fishing opportunities throughout the year, it's impossible to be bored in this city if you have a fly rod in your hand.

I believe this is likely true for many great fisheries in this country.  Taken for granted by local fly fishing enthusiasts, and somewhat forgotten as a dream-worthy fishery.  I won't let that happen to me anymore.

Next time I need a break, rather than daydreaming of a beautiful white sandy flat on South Andros Island surrounded by 8 lb bonefish, I may just be wading a sandy bay in Oahe Downstream recreation area with a school of common carp nose down headed straight toward me.  Time for me to make a cast...






No comments:

Post a Comment