Tuesday, May 5, 2015

What I learned from teaching kids to tie...



Great kids make the event much easier to host!

Last spring the Tuesday Tyers held our inaugural Come Tie with Us, kids tying clinic here in Pierre.  We had a goal of 10 kids, 8 participated.  Not bad for a first year.  Each child had a mentor tyer to help them through the process.  Many parents stayed to participate as well.  At the end of the two hour tying session each child had three flies they tied all on their own, a new fly rod, and a look in their eye that screamed out, "I'm ready to catch some fish!"

Overall it was a very rewarding event, not just because we had some great kids there, but because we all gained so much from the experience.

For me, it was a change of mentality that I never thought would develop.  One of a selfish fisherman constantly seeking his new adventure, to a guy who wants to see our resources around for a long time.  I have caught a lot of fish on a fly rod.  Way more than I can begin to brag about.  Full disclosure, the number of fish that I've caught pale in comparison (both in quantity and size) to thousands of other fly throwers around this world.  And that's ok.  I'm very content with my status as a fly caster.  While I will continue to seek improvement, I've come to realize just how important youth are (and will be) to this pastime.  Teaching the next generation will not only be my way of brightening the future of this sport, but will make it much easier for these young children to do the same someday.  I don't want it to be as difficult for them to get started as it was for me.

That's why we're doing it again this year.  Modern Woodman of America is helping us purchase fly tying kits for each participant.  Dakota Angler and Outfitter will likely throw in some additional prizes.  Mark your calendars now for June 13th from 9 - 1.  If you'd like to volunteer your time and skills, please let me know.  If you'd like to join us for casting practice, that is fine too!  The more the merrier.  If the weather is nice, we'll even go try for some carp after casting practice.  It's going to be a great day in Pierre.  Contact me for more details.

Buddy Seiner (AKA Fishing Buddy)
605-222-9706
bseiner@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment