Monday, May 25, 2015

He/She's got the Look!



New fashion statement?

What are your feelings on looks?  When I was growing up, I admired fly fishing enthusiasts.  Not only because it seemed like they had it all figured out, but because they looked the part.  They were the epitome of fishing to a non-enthusiast.  I thought that in order to be a fly fisherman, I had to look like a fly fisherman.  

This thought consumed me for some time.  I concerned myself with having the proper gear so at least I looked like I belonged, because I certainly didn't feel like I belonged early on.  This recently came to my mind when my buddy and I were standing near my truck after catching some spring carp.  We looked the part.  Waders, packs, nice gear, etc.  A car pulled up and asked if we were catching anything.  My friend and I, fully aware that they were not referring to carp, chuckled as we responded.  "A few," we said.  "Well, you sure look like professional fishermen," he replied as he put the vehicle into gear.  

Did that gentleman leave that day thinking we were professional fisherman?  Was he sold on our accomplishments and prowess as anglers simply because of how we were dressed?  While those questions might seem silly, consider it for a moment.  Who is going to be the most influential person in the meeting?  The one with the armani suit, or the person in business casual?  At first glance, are you going to ask for help on a construction project from an individual with a nice tool belt around their waist, or a guy/gal wearing an orange vest?  Perception is everything in this world.  People are prone to jumping to conclusions before all (or any) facts can be gathered.  

You can't argue with the results...
While this phenomenon may be good for business in the marketing world, it is NOT good for fly fishing.  I've stopped caring about my appearance long ago.  I don't care anymore if you think I look silly, because I'll be catching fish.  I might even be catching more fish than the person with all the new gear and fancy gadgets.  The fact of the matter is that I only need a fly rod and a box of flies to be successful on the water.  Everything else is a luxury or optional convenience.  Please, whether you are just getting into the sport, or a veteran of the game, DO NOT FALL INTO THE RHETORIC!  Trust your instincts and not what some poster boy for the sport tells you to use.  Dress comfortably (for your style and your wallet) without feeling the need to "fit in".  Like saying goes, "fish like nobody's watching".  You'll have more fun and you'll catch more fish.  Stay positive and don't worry about what others think of you.  They don't know jack!

Anyone looks good with a fish on!

No comments:

Post a Comment