Sunday, March 29, 2015

White Bass Bonanza

I love talking to other anglers about their fishing experiences, fly fishing or otherwise.  Lately, I've happened across of number of folks who had a disappointing year in 2014 fishing for white bass.  You see, in Pierre, SD, we have a very special resource in our white bass population.  During the spring spawn and throughout the summer, they can be found in large numbers throughout the Missouri River system.  These fish are usually fat and sassy and very willing to take a variety of patterns.  And when you do it right, they rival walleye as table fare.

I can hardly recall an occasions where the white bass fishing has been less than stellar.  2014 was no exception.  I have expressed my surprise when the conversation briefly goes to white bass and thoughts or fears about low numbers.  While the numbers are not all time highs, they were still pretty great last year.  The fish did seem to be more particular in the patterns they favored, but were still very willing to take when presented with the right fly.  I remember one day in particular when I stood next to another angler at my favorite white bass spot hooking fish after fish.  His pattern offered the same color scheme as mine, however, was different in size and weight.  He did not hook a fish.  I offered one of the "working" flies, but he was content.  Awkward turtle moment...

Here is a short video featuring a few of the fish caught in 2014.  Early season fish were some toads!  Here's hoping for a 2015 run that rivals it.  Enjoy.



Whitey Ford Fourteen from Buddy Seiner on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment