Saturday, August 9, 2014

Indicator Fishing for Cats

Big kitty hooked under the indicator
I've never been the biggest fan of indicators.  I understand their place in the world of situational fishing and appreciate the benefits they offer anglers, but they are never a first chose of mine when approaching a body of water.  I do use them, and enjoy nymphing as much as anyone, but will rarely consider bubbles in any other situation, stillwater or otherwise.   Just for kicks, I decided to try fishing under an indicator down on lake Sharp for some cats that have been gorging themselves lately.  Overall, the indicator performed very well and I ended up catching some nice fish.  Here are my takeaways from the day of fishing:

Pro:  You see the strike.  The strike was light, but thanks to the indicator, the hookset was immediate.  Without the indicator, you may not have recognized the strike until you felt the fish on the line.  By that time, they may have already spit the hook.  Seeing the strike immediately was a benefit.

Con:  You really have to pay attention.  I looked away from the indicator a few times only to eventually feel a fish on the line, or see what was left of the indicators movement after the strike.  Each time the late hook set led to a lost fish.  When I fish, I like to enjoy the outdoors and take everything in. When you can't look away from your indicator, that takes away from the overall fishing experience for me.

Pro:  You can keep you fly in the strike zone.  Just as you would adjust your indicator to fish seems
and riffles in a stream, the same tactic holds true for stillwater fishing.  These fish were targeting prey holding in a specific area.  Holding the fly in that zone made me much more likely to catch a fish.  Many attempts were made without an indicator and it was far less effective.

Con:  Wind.  South Dakota is known for many things, one of which is WIND.  I don't mind the wind, and do very well fishing in it.  These cats were holding in a deeper hole that required a long cast. When the wind picked up, casting with the indicator became quite a chore.  Seeing the strike, at this time, also became a challenge.  Two strikes in particular occurred as I stopped the presentation.  By the time I finally felt the fish on the next strip, the hookset was too late.  I lost both fish.

Con:  You get lazy.  Even after fishing under an indicator for a short time, I found myself feeling dependent upon it.  My other senses didn't seem as acute as normal, specifically in the feel of the rod.

There is definitely a place for indicator fishing in our stillwater fisheries.  Give it a shot and see if it is a viable technique for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment