Monday, September 29, 2014

Taking photos with video - save time, save fish

I only need one (1) second to get a photo of a fish out of water.  
Are you a professional photographer?  Are you making money by taking photos of your "trophies" that are smaller than most of the fish being caught round the world?  I'm guessing that most people are not, and you have no reason to leave a fish gasping for air on a bank while you try to set up your point and shoot camera for a shot you're not prepared for.  I've ranted about it before...10 seconds is too long for a fish to be out of water.  Anything more will be compromising a life for a silly photo that will nary be seen after its upload.

Most "average Joe" fisherman like myself, just want some cool shots for memories or videos that might be put together for friends and family.  Trying to take a snapshot of yourself after catching a fish can be a difficult task.  I know some great fishermen who have a developed systems that allows them to get great photos (most of the time) while keeping the fish healthy for release.  I'm not one of those guys, which is why I use video to take all of my fish photos.

Not professional, but still a nice shot of a beautiful browny
Hear me out.  All of my photos are taken from Go Pro Hero2 videos.  Video quality and cost are no longer correlated to a point where you must pay too much for a camera that takes great video.  A waterproof camera will not only take high def video and a great snapshot from the editing table, but it will give you the piece of mind knowing you can set it on the bank for a quick fish video without worrying about it falling in or getting wet.  With the fish in the net you are able to start the video (remotely with the Hero 3) leave the fish in the water until you are ready to set up for "the shot", lift the fish and release the fish.  It's that simple.  Stop the video and begin the cycle again.

Again, I get that you aren't going to take professional photos with this method.  I understand that there may be the occasional water spot on the lens that will show up on your image.  What's so bad about that?  I say it adds a bit of authenticity to an always perfect, photoshopped, filtered world of photos.  Yes, I often wish I had the resources and time to reach a level of photography that others would find desirable.  I have a great deal of admiration for what wildlife photographers can do with a camera and enjoy their work often.  Maybe someday I'll join their ranks.  Until that time, I'm proud to say I can release a fish in under 10 seconds and still have a great photo to show for it.  I'm also content preserving the memories of great adventures and fish encounters one video at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment