Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Fishing Buddy Code

Don't get slapped by that tail...


The walleye bite must have slowed significantly.  The curiosity of the walleye angler cruising by for the second time made that evident.  Of course, I was working to haul in a 15+ pound common carp from the depths of one northeast South Dakota glacial lake.  A heavyweight bout captivating enough for at least one spectator.  Fortunately, we were the only ones on the water on a beautiful Sunday morning.  With big fish all around me, the sun at my back, and blue skies on the horizon, this was shaping to be a perfect fishing adventure.  There was only one problem...this wasn't my spot to try.

Common after common fell by the guides of my new 8 wt Quest II.  Presentation options ranged from big fish feeding/lounging in the rip rap to cruising shadows on the shallow gravel beach.  In all instances, fish were ready and willing to destroy my fly.  As my hands stung from line burns, and my muscles ached from consecutive fights, I couldn't help but feel guilty about being there alone.  You see, it was supposed to be tandem trip, but circumstances (as they usually do) got in the way.  It all started with a new message on July 7th.


It was all set, an overnight trip to the northeast for a carp hunting adventure.  The day of departure was when things began to unravel.  Unforeseen circumstances and bad luck led to us postponing our trip.  There was still a possibility for me, however, because I had planned a family trip to the same area for the weekend.  The plan was to spend two days chasing carp in tag-team mode before meeting up with my family to spend the weekend in Watertown.  I brought the fly rod just in case.  When the kids were running around at 11:00 p.m. on Saturday night, I new Sunday morning would be my opportunity to break away for a quick trip. I was out the door at 6:30 a.m., fishing by 7:30, and on my way back to the hotel at 9:30 with sore arms and a shit-eating grin a mile wide.

Was it wrong for me to "scout" this new spot?  It felt wrong going without the guy who told me about it.  Or maybe it was just the fact that I had nobody to share my excitement when stalking a 15 + pound fish with his nose in the rocks and tail in the air.   Spots like that are meant to be shared, and I was hogging it all.  There has got to be some line in the Fishing Buddy Code that condones this behavior, right?  I'll look into it.  Until then, I'll have to look at the bright side, we'll no longer be starting from square one when we do finally make the trip to this carp paradise.



No comments:

Post a Comment