Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Favorite Winter Trout Flies

For many fly fisherman, wintertime means one thing...Tying!  But for a growing number in the sport, winter offers something different, something special... SOLITUDE.  Having a favorite stretch of water exclusively available to you on a snowy, windy day is almost better to me than fishing your favorite stretch in the midst of territorial fishermen and "their" fish.  While I haven't done a lot of open water fishing in the winter-time, I've done enough to dedicate a post to my top five flies to fish in the winter.

A quick caveat:  I don't get out much.  I haven't really fished outside of South Dakota on "foreign" waters.  These flies have worked great for me here, but you may not experience similar success on your home waters.  Either way, I'd like to know if these (or other flies) work on your home water.  Please comment below.

Let the countdown begin:


Articulated Olive Marabou Streamer

5) -  Articulated Streamers - You know you've got something special when a fly is listed as an anglers top 5 and they have yet to catch a trout on it.  I've been tying articulated streamer patters for a few weeks now, and love everything about them.  The look, the size, the movement, EVERYTHING!  I've read articles referencing big trout caught on these patterns.  Hey, there must be a reason they get so big right?  While I can't wait to throw these bad boys at some trout this winter, I've already enjoyed catching Northern and walleye with them here in Pierre.  And look out this spring smallies!  I'm coming in packing!










Golden Stone
4) -  Golden Stone - Fishing was slow on Spearfish Creek last Jan.  It was cold, snowing, and the "old reliable" patterns were only producing a few fish.  I decided to check some rocks (something I should have done long before) only to find three giant golden stonefly nymphs stared me right in the face.  I had never tied anything like this, so I checked my box to see what I had.  As luck would have it, my wife had purchased me a number of flies (to help me feel better after losing my box the fall prior) and this was one of the patterns.  Perfect size too!  Needless to say, the day got a lot better, and these have joined the others with a VIP (very important pattern) parking space in my box.










Cream midge larva
3) -  Midges - "The bigger the fly the bigger the fish".  You've heard this right?  Somewhat rings true when discussing articulated streamers.  But in the winter months, when midges are one of the only bugs hatching on sunny days, midges will produce fish of all shapes and sizes and are very versatile.   The thing I love most about midges is that fish eat them all year, they are relatively easy to tie and pretty easy to fish.  I have a box dedicated to midge patterns and carry it all year round.














Red and Orange San Juan Worm
2) -  Tri-colored San Juan Worm - If you're looking for an amazing fly to fish deep during high water, cold water months, in murky water or just when the fish don't seem to be biting like they usually do; this is my go-to.  I've caught more fish on this fly when my guides are icing up, my fingers are frozen solid and other fisherman have gone home for the day.  Big fish love it, little fish love it and it couldn't be much easier to tie (unless you're tying a typical San Juan).  I learned this pattern (and to a certain extent, the one below) from Hans Stephenson's Dakota Angler and Outfitter blog.  He ties some awesome patters that will work in waters around the country.  Check it out when you have some time.










Hot Spot Bead Head PT
1) -  Hot Spot Pheasant Tail - Do you ever feel like flyfishing is cheating?  I mean have you seriously considered it?  When you think about it, we (I mean, some of you amazing tyers out there) are tying near perfect representations of a trout's actual food source and putting it right in front of them on a silver platter.  If you're not using the silver platter technique, I'd highly recommend it.  When I fish with the hot-spot, I almost feel like I'm cheating in some way.  I think, "It shouldn't be this easy to catch fish".  Now, I know luck has a lot to do with this scenario and, I'll admit, I've had plenty of humbling days on the water.  But day-in and day-out, this fly out-fishes any other in my box.  Oh, and pheasant hunting is awesome, so I have to do something with all those tail feathers!

No comments:

Post a Comment